I'm crazy for face wash products which are soap-free since my skin is typically dry. I've tried face wash from some brands & I'm still in journey to find the one which is very suitable for me.
I bought Himalaya Herbals face wash because it claims "free from SLS/SLES". Those are detergent which dry out my skin & left rigid feel on my face. Here is the product :
It's manufactured by The Himalaya Drug Company, Bangalore - India
It also claims "free from parabens & phtalates". Why should we avoid those ingredients? Here is the explanation :
- SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) & SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) : both have function as surfactant (foaming agent) & emulsifier (to stabilize the emulsion). SLS is one of the most irritating ingredients. It can cause allergic or sensitizing reaction in amount of 2% to 5% (link)
- Parabens : a common preservative agent used in cosmetics. It has bad reputation as cancer trigger. From a research in 2004, it's known that parabens were found in breast cancer cells, but there's no proof that parabens is the cause of cancer (link). However, paraben paranoia becomes an opportunity for cosmetics manufacturers to market their products.
- Phtalates : plasticizer agents which give flexibility to rubber, plastics, or resin. They're used in cosmetics as solubilizer, plasticizer, and denaturant (give bitter taste to the product). A study conducted in 2006 - 2008 (link) indicated that 130 of 482 women gave birth before the normal time & they had higher level of phtalates in their bodies. But there's no proof that phtalates were the main cause of premature birth, further research is needed to clarify & confirm it.
Personally, I don't have paranoia of parabens & phtalates, hehe.. but I do avoid SLS/SLES. I can't use facial foam which is really rich in foam, it irritates my dry skin.
Ok, this is my review :
- Price : IDR 11,500 (50 ml). It's quite affordable
- Texture : between gel & cream (hmm, how to describe it?). It obtains a little foam when blended with water
- Packaging : simple with flip-top, it looks like common drugstore product. Of course, Himalaya Herbals is manufactured by a drug company. I like its transparent tube, it enables us to see the content.
- Scent : it has strong floral scent. I usually don't like skincare with a lot of fragrance.
- When I use it : Be sure you close your eyes while washing your face. My eyes got so red after using this face wash. It might caused by the menthol or fragrance. I prefer tear free products.
this product is irritating my eyes, hmm..that's not a good news
- After rinse : it doesn't dry out my skin. There's no rigid feel after using this face wash. It leaves cool sensation from menthol. I don't really like menthol in skincare, it feels weird.
- Whitening effect : I've used this face wash in a week, and I don't really notice it. Whitening effect is not the one I expect from this product. Actually I bought the whitening one because there were only 2 variants in the store (whitening & oil control). I couldn't possibly buy the oil control variant, it would dry out my skin.
- Ingredients : aqua, ammonium, lauryl sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoyl glutamate, & disodium cocoyl glutamate, glycol distearate, coco-glucoside & glycol distearate & glycerin, glycerin, acrylates/C10 - 30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, PEG-150 distearate, cetyl alcohol, fragrance, phenoxyethanol, coco-glucoside & glyceryl oleate, sodium hydroxide, Crocus sativus flower extract (saffron), Cucumis sativus (cucumber) extract, citric acid, menthyl lactate, methylchloroisothiazolinone & methylisothiazolinone, disodium EDTA, tocopheryl acetate, Punica granatum (pomegranate) extract, menthol, Glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, Vateria indica bark (white dammar) extract, Cl.15985
(+) Soap free, doesn't dry out my skin
(+) Doesn't break me out
(+) Simple packaging
(+) Affordable price
(-) The scent is too strong
(-) It contains menthol which irritating my eyes
Recommended for :
- Dry / normal-dry skin
- People who tend to avoid SLS/SLES, parabens & phtalates, but can tolerate fragrance & menthol (actually fragrance & menthol are irritants too)
- People who like whitening face wash
Not recommended for :
- People who are sensitive to fragrance & menthol
- Acne prone skin (because it contains whitening & some irritant ingredient like menthol, perfume, sodium hydroxide). I've read some reviews from bloggers who have oily & acne prone skin, they said this face wash couldn't improve their skin condition.
Rate : 6/10
Repurchase ? No